( appreciation )

“Just appreciate how frustrated I was when I saw the shot, ok?” I typed to Jill on facebook chat this morning as I clicked ‘send’ on the email and attachment I was sending her way. “It was the perfect shot. It was the defining shot of the wedding even, and of course, it was out of focus. UGH!!!”

I’m pretty sure my jaw clenched harder the more I looked at the picture. How could I have done that!? I toggled between the shot before, THE shot, and the shot after. I take a lot of pictures (taking pictures of horses with ears that flick constantly has gotten me in the habit of taking 4 or 5 frames of the exact same pose) and was hoping, praying, fingers crossed wishing that maybe I gotten one similar (IN FOCUS!) of the same pose. No dice.

I made some excuses in my head. Maybe my focusing drive wasn’t where it was supposed to be. Maybe it was because I was rushed because I had stopped traffic on a main street in a small tourist town on a gorgeous weekend day at dinner time. Maybe I just wasn’t paying attention. So I conceded. I missed the shot. I had to live with it. And appreciate it. And appreciate that I had the chance to take the shot in the first place. And appreciate the reality that I’d have the chance to shoot like that again. And, that if this was the shot I was most upset with from the whole set, I should really appreciate how far I’ve come.

Show Hide 8 comments

Jill - August 24, 2011 - 8:50 am

Focus or not, I still love this shot. <3

Jeff Babineau - August 24, 2011 - 9:01 am

Art is not supposed to conform to the Focused norm….. I think the image speaks for itself. Great work .

Phoebs - August 24, 2011 - 9:24 am

Had that happen to me before, so I feel your pain, but it’s still an amazing shot! And sometimes I find the “out of focus” can add more spark, like in this case!

Wendy - August 24, 2011 - 10:04 am

Think of it as a nice play on the fact that the day is fully focused on them. They got to have a few moments where it was just them, lost in the blur of just being together :) Still a lovely shot.

Tammie - August 24, 2011 - 10:26 am

Maybe that is the way it was suppose to turn out…everything happens for a reason..there is beauty in there for sure!

Don M - August 24, 2011 - 4:08 pm

This is an unusual shot that will be remembered for some time.
I like it a lot.

Anthony Parenti - September 9, 2011 - 9:14 pm

Didn’t even faze me looking at the image. Excellent capture.

Nick - September 23, 2011 - 1:43 am

Even though its out of focus, the eye is still drawn to the lovely couple and the beauty is still found there… Very impressive. What lens did you use?

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *

Back to Top Share on Facebook Tweet this post Pin it Email to a Friend link this post